Two all time favorites rolled into one. Layers of oatmeal cookie dough filled with semi-sweet, chocolate fudge. Chewy, chocolatey, decadent and delicious!
Fudgey Oatmeal Bars
(adapted from a recipe by Averie Cooks)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled slightly
1 large egg
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned whole-rolled oats (not quick cook or instant)
1 cup all-purpose flour
pinch salt, optional and to taste
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, for batter
half of one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
about 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, keeping a 2 inch over hang. Spray with Pam cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Whisk in cooled, melted butter until smooth. Add in oats and flour, stirring just until combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Use a spatula to spread 3 quarters of the batter out into pan to form a crust. Reserve remaining batter.
- Add 1 cup chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk to a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high in 30 second intervals until chips are melted. Stir to combine. Quickly pour and smooth chocolate mixture over crust (chocolate sets up quickly).
- Spoon remaining batter over chocolate and smooth out with a spatula. For soft bars, bake for 25 minutes, just until top is set. Topping will be pale in color. Baking until golden will result in crunchy bars.
- Remove from oven and top with 1/3 cup chocolate chips. Cool in pan for at least an hour. Lift out using foil overhang. When completely cooled, slice and serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.