We’ve had a relatively cool summer here in the Midwest this year, but today the heat is on with temperatures soaring into the 90’s. Warm temperatures are more than welcome after the winter we had, and on days like these, there is nothing better at mealtime than a cold pasta salad. This kicked-up shrimp salad is both spicy and refreshing and perfect for lunch or dinner on a hot summer day. Serve it with cold melon and a tall glass of ice tea for a true southern experience.
Shrimp with Bow Tie Pasta Salad
adapted from DeepSouthDish.com
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 1/2 pound of dry farfelle (bow tie) pasta
- Splash of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped Vidalia, or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of sliced celery
- 3/4 cup of sliced black olives
- 1 pound of seasoned boiled shrimp
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite Cajun or seafood seasoning to taste (I used Old Bay)
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoned salt, or to taste.
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered.
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley. You can use dried parsley if you do not have fresh on hand.
Ingredients for the Dressing:
- 2/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of spicy mustard
- 1/4 cup of milk
If using frozen shrimp, thaw and boil according to Crab and Shrimp Boil package directions. (I used Zatarain’s) After cooking, drain and run under cold water to stop from cooking further. Peel cooled shrimp and if using jumbo shrimp, cut in half.
Following package directions, cook pasta to the al dente stage. Drain and add a splash of olive oil, tossing to coat and prevent sticking. Set aside to cool. Prepare onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and celery.
When pasta has cooled, transfer to a large mixing bowl. To the pasta, add the shrimp, chopped vegetables, parsley and black olives. Toss to combine. Add seasonings, taste and adjust if needed.
Prepare the dressing. In a small mixing bowl or 2 cup sized measuring cup, add the mayonnaise, olive oil, vinegar and mustard. Whisk until well blended. Add in the milk and continue to whisk until smooth. Pour over the pasta and blend well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.