This family favorite comes together quickly for an easy weeknight meal. The perfect choice for feeding a crowd; just double or triple the recipe. Save time by making ahead and freezing for later. I like to give this sweet and tangy sauce a little kick by adding Chipotle pepper sauce.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchens
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. ground sirloin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup-style chili sauce
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce to your taste (optional)
- 6 sesame-seed sandwich buns, split
Add onion, celery, green pepper and canola oil to a large skillet or sauté pan. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft. Increase the heat to medium high and add the ground sirloin. Break up the beef and cook until no longer pink. Remove any fat from the pan. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often for about 20 minutes.
Serve over toasted sesame-seed buns with zesty sweet pickles, if desired. Serves 6.